Grants & Programs
The Karen J. Nichols, DO LEAD Scholar award will be presented to an Osteopathic medical student whose Leadership, Excellence, Achievement, and Dedication are proven in the classroom and community.
This award supports, honors, and encourages Osteopathic medical students who show promise and exhibit the foundational leadership skills that will serve them and their communities now and in the future.
Effective leaders start as student leaders and as they continue to learn and grow, they too will make a difference and pay it forward.
- Must be an OMS III or OMS IV enrolled at a COCA-Accredited College/School of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Applicant must also demonstrate the following:
- Dedication to community and the Osteopathic profession
- Demonstrated leadership and its impact within the classroom and community
- Noteworthy achievements, awards, and honors, special projects, and extracurricular activities
- Excellence within multiple disciplines: personal, academic, and professional
Learn more about this year's LEAD Scholar.
This award was established to honor Karen J. Nichols, DO, former president of the American Osteopathic Association and its first female president, an accomplished educator and someone who has served in multiple leadership positions for the Osteopathic profession, including six years as a board member for the American Osteopathic Foundation.
The application portal opens in spring 2022.